Sunday, March 06, 2005

Killing Friends

So what does it take to kill a friendship? A single unkind word? Misinterpeted action? Philosophical differnces?

We're sad little people at times. Letting differences in politics, religion, and culture get in the way of savoring the limited time we're here. Don't get me wrong, I've ended friendships for weak reasons as well. Not my best moments...though it's easier to see the stupidity when others are doing it.

I've got some friends that used to be flatmates that now are on opposite ends of the political and religious spectrums. Oddly it seems that isn't the main reason why they've fallen out. It seems the issue is how one of them chooses to raise his child (or the environment that the child is in). Not going to get into the details. I too disagree with what I know about the envronment the child is in but no laws are being broken and it's not my place to get involved. It certainly isn't worth the loss of a friend and as I am not a parent, I find that my voice doesn't carry a lot of weight in theses things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think love lost can primarily be attributed to incorrect pronoun usage.

"I've got some friends that used to be flatmates that now are on opposite ends of the political and religious spectrums."

Alas, I mourn for the relative pronoun in solitude. Yer still my pal, though. Grammar girl.

Anonymous said...

Hey Grammar girl, can you get him to correctly spell "differences"?