Sunday, March 20, 2005

It's not just a city in NY...

One of my favorite words...and I share since is was part of a conversation from this past Saturday. Basically I was accused of making up a word and not pronouncing it correctly. So in my defense...

synecdoche:

A figure of speech in which a part is used for the whole (as
hand for sailor), the whole for a part (as the law for police officer), the specific for the general (as cutthroat for assassin), the general for the specific (as thief for pickpocket), or the material for the thing made from it (as steel for sword)

Check the link and believe me when I say that it is pronounced similar to the word Schenectady (city and count in NY).

7 comments:

Peter said...

What a fascinating word.

Who said you made it up?

Ken said...

I think Jessica and Kat...

Anonymous said...

HEY! Grammar nazi girl is innocent this time.

Ken said...

The Munkee Girl is not so innocent as she would have you think.

Peter said...

I want to get a good etymological dictionary soon. But the one I want is like 50 bucks, and it's hard to justify that purchase to myself unless it's my birthday or something.

Anonymous said...

Right now, you might want to concentrate on spelling words like "attempt" I'm just saying. I mean if you're going to VANQUISH! ignorance.

Do you get to wear a cape when doing that?

Anonymous said...

smartasses are standing by.