Monday, December 19, 2005

Favorite Christmas Music...

I was thinking of my favorite holiday music. There's a lot of good stuff and there is a lot of crap. It seems anyone with (or without) a voice has to put out a holiday record. My tastes tend towards the traditional. My parents loved Christmas music but favoried crooners...so I associate the holidays with that type of music and delivery. I'm thinking of Bing Crosby, Johnny Mathis, Englebert Humperdinck, Dean Martin, etc.

However...I've got two big exceptions to that style. The item in the first photo is a record from my mother's childhood. It's from the 1950's. It's excellent and very out of print and hard to find. There's a mixture of traditional and new (at that time). The new songs are my favorites...Mixie Pixie (about some type of holiday fairy), I've got Eighteen Cents (the amount the singer has to spend for the holidays), and the Little Christmas Stocking with a Hole (a fine parable about giving). I have a copy but it's packed right now and I've not listened to the record in years. Once we're moved into a new house I plan to get these into digital format. The record isn't in the best of shape.



My other favorite record is Merry Snoopy's Christmas. Most of you have heard the song about Snoopy and the Red Baron. This is an extention of that including a whole WWI storyline. It's a lot of fun. Side 2 has some non-Christmas tracks from the Royal Guardsmen, including the excellent, It's Sopwith Camel Time. This is another one that is out of print and needs to be ripped.



So...What is the preferred music of your holiday?

1 comment:

Peter said...

Bah humbug.

Actually, I'm totally down with some Vince Guaraldi action.