Sunday, February 26, 2006

A little culture

Jess and I went to the Arkansas Symphony Orchestra on Saturday. Great fun.

First piece was Symphony No. 5, Op. 50 by Carl Nielsen. I liked it. I was reminded of Stravinsky. The first movement was much better than the the second and the ending was abrupt, seeming to come from nowhere. But what an ending...

Second piece was Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor by Serge Rachmaninoff (bonus: sample the music via wikipedia). The centerpiece of this concerto was pianist Andre Watts. He's certainly a fine pianist, and the music was good; I just don't really like piano concertos. The piano isn't my favorite instrument and I'm not keen on symphonic works that center on it.

That said, it was nice going to the symphony. I think Jess and I will look into going again and perhaps getting season tickets next year. It was fun being out all dresse up and seeing everyone else dressed all nice. We ran into the Caruthers. We unknowningly parked right next to them and walked in with them. Brief conversation, but nice nonetheless.

Also, soccer update....we're now 2-0. We won our game 4-2. I could have played better but our offense is very talented so I don't think we were ever in any danger of losing. I like these guys. Lots of fun. And it's nice to be winning.

No comments: