Thursday, February 02, 2006

I'm pleased that Donne brought out such interesting responses. Let's see if we can keep it up.

Tom...didn't know you hated 16th Cent Brit Lit, and Donne in particular, so much. What's not to like. And sure, Shakespeare is excellent but there were other fine writers of the era. You've got Kyd, Marlowe, and Jonson to name but a few. And there's the unanswerable question as to whether Shakespeare the man was Shakespeare the writer.

Peter...embrace the alien...and you're right, not flowery at all. While I like some modern poetry, I really admire and respect using established form, rhyme, meter, etc. Something I believe is often lost to modern poets...or certainly the hacks who string a bunch of random words together and call it a poem. Or the folks who make a simple two line rhyme and call it a poem.

Kat...was your comment directed at me or one of the others? I can't tell. Perhaps, since I can't determine, I should take it as a sign it was actually directed at me. I sense you're harkening back to your overtly zealous attack on me a few months ago. :-)

Mike...not sure what the "Praise Bob" was for but keep it coming. You could always switch to "Praise Ken."

4 comments:

twd3lr said...

I'll take the English Romantic period over 16th century stuff, thank you very much. I'm not a fan of most modern stuff, either, so don't think for a moment that I prefer the non-lyrical, hack job crap that some people pass off as poetry.

Oh, and thanks for getting rid of the additional spam-blocker on your comments!

Ken said...

I aim to please...but I'll pop on the word verification again if the spam starts up again.

Peter said...

I'm sure it will. The spambots seem to be very active sometimes.

munkee girl said...

Ken, just because I use the subjunctive doesn't mean you have to get all defensive. ;)

I thought perhaps Jesus wasn't gettin' his props and deserved a shoutout. Be good, or we'll drag you along to a Rockin' Jesus Hour service.

I, for on, enjoy the word verification. It's an excellent source of new scrabble words.