Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Calder Mobile


My old friend Joy, who lives in NYC and knowing my love of art, took this photo and sent it to me. She's just trying to make me jealous of the fact she's in NYC and around myriad art and culture options.

Actually I think it's in response to the ticket stub to the Andrew Wyeth exhibit that I sent her. We've had an ongoing art/culture feud since at least 1990. I generally credit her with victory since she's been to Europe more often than me. Plus she lives in NYC. However, occasionally even Arkansas gets something artistic that doesn't hit NYC (like the Wyeth exhibit) and I have to bask in that limited glory while I can.

I've got to say that my impending trip to Vietnam will go a long way to balancing the art/culture war. I'm pretty certain she's only traveled to Europe...I'm raising the ante and heading to Asia.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

munkee girl said...

HA HA! Bring on the travel culture WARS!! I've got Europe, Asia, and Africa--BINGO! What'da I win?

We really need to revive the liberal arts tradition of the Grand Tour to round out one's education, especially since it takes going Elsewhere to see how good we've got it Here. Did you know there's pending legislation (The Abe Lincoln Act or some such) to get a million American students abroad each year? There's about 100,000 who go abroad each year now, largely from upper middle class families. Here's my problem with it: there needs to be a stipulation that folks are going abroad to countries WHERE A LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ENGLISH IS SPOKEN. I don't want my tax dollars spent on a vacation in England or Australia for some kid (I'm sorry, I don't find using the term "lorry" over intellectually taxing, and it's better for the country if these kids pick up some language skills for our investment).

I keenly felt my lack of language ability in Korea, and it drove me insane not to be able to communicate beyond the few phrases we knew. Plus, I kept trying to talk to people in German because that's the default mode for my brain when abroad.

munkee girl said...

P.S. This does not pass my art yardstick, and in a few years, I will have a three year old to prove it. ;)

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

When did you go to Africa? I want to know.