Sunday, October 15, 2006

Weekend Fun

This weekend was filled to the brim with activity. 

Friday was our first adventure in the 2nd Friday Arts Night in Little Rock.  We were out with Jen and Steve, drank some wine, ate some cookies, made a small purchase, and generally had a good time.  Can't wait for next month.

Saturday started with an early rise to head to Benton so I could watch a live English Premier League game at Tom's.  My team played to a draw but it was entertaining.  Then...lunch at Vanlang (our new favorite Vietnamese place) with Wes from F'ville and his buddy Tim.  Bloody good seeing Wes. We were too short on time this weekend to spend hours with Wes but at least we got to see him.

The afternoon and evening found posing for photos for our adoption application packet.  I hat posed shots.  You too can see them here: http://picasaweb.google.com/ken.a.myers.  Click on the Jessica link.  The photo shoot was worth it for the fire pit evening that happened after dark.  Hot bratwurst, smores, beer, and conversation make for a great evening. 

Played soccer this afternoon (Sunday) and I am pleased to say that the Hangover Blues won yet again.  That puts us at 5-1 on the season.  Boy, it was a perfect soccer day too.  Chilly, but not cold.  Overcast and spitting rain.  Good times.

Finally, in preparation for an Octoberfest event in the office tomorrow, I made a Kekstorte.  It's a chocolate cookie cake.  I've not made this dish in probably 18 years.  I first made it for a foreign language competition in middle school or jr. high. Won first place in the German food category.  Not sure if the dish was so good or that it was one of the few non Black Forest cakes in competition.  Regardless...I'll take victory when I can get it.  Hope it goes over well at work tomorrow. (I'll see if I can get someone to snap a photo of it...in a pinch I'll use my phone.)



5 comments:

jennybee said...

Sounds like a great weekend. Glad you discovered Van Lang. My default entree there is V9 with some spring rolls.

Annie said...

What a busy weekend you had, expending energy and renewing it with a meal at VanLangs. VanLangs is great, isn't it. I posted about the restaurant back in the summer time and you can see what folks said about it at this link.

Ken said...

Annie - it was based on my review of your site a few weeks ago and seeing the photo of Van Lang that prompted our first visit on 9/29. Loved it. As we're adopting a Vietnamese child, we're going back a lot to increase our familiarity with Vietnamese cuisine.

Jen...I think we had V9. V8 is also good; as well as the stir fry dishes.

Annie said...

Ooh, that's very nice feedback about finding Vanlangs via my older post. Thanks.

munkee girl said...

Ah, the fabled Kekstorte...I surely hope you did take a picture since I've been hearing about it since making your acquaintance. And, I expect you to bring one up when you next head to NWA so I can check it for authenticity/deliciousity.

;)