Thursday, May 18, 2006

Laugh your sittin place off...

Take a look and listen at Ax a Pirate. It's in response to Ask a Ninja; but more funny.

To follow up on the previous thread...LibertyLand is no longer around. Their site indicates it closed for good after 30 years last October. Let's observe a moment of silence for Munkee Girl's loss. I think we should temper that loss by pitching in and getting her something at the LibertyLand auction. Photos here. Brochure here.

Take a look at the photos. Kinda sad. But it also makes me wish I was rich and eccentric so I could buy the place and live out my Scooby-Doo fantasies (no not those fantasies). Doesn't it look like the standard, Scooby-Doo, rundown amusement park. Zoiks!

So I broke down and read The Da Vinci Code. Fun but ephemeral. Very shallow mystery with a greater focus on the mystery than the characters. Still..it's been enjoyable as a page-turner. I prefer something with a bit more meat like Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. I do want to see the movie, which is why I read the book. As for the plot...it's a work of fiction...no need for the Church to get all up in arms about it or for shallow readers to take it as a challenge to their Faith. If something like this book causes a wavering of Faith then clearly they're not too strong in their beliefs after all.

Reading anything interesting? Post it to the Comments. I'll share some more titles later.

4 comments:

munkee girl said...

Libertyland was Excellent Death Trap Fun / Personal Injury Lawyer Playground. I'm not trying to be non-PC, but it was kind of like the inner city version of the redneck Dogpatch. (Obviously, one would far prefer Libertyland.) We took some random Catholic school trip there once (8th grade graduation), and I was scairt plenty. So, shame on all of you Southeners forgetting a vital part of your 80's childhood heritage! Speaking of which, Ken, is creating poorly-thought-out theme parks just a Southern passtime, or do you have any good Yankee stories about Boiled Vegetable Land or Freezin Our Arse Off Park?

As an organizing member of the Roman Catholic/Buddhist Committee for World Domination, I'm glad to see that you're not taking Mr. Brown's outing of our cabal seriously. WHEW! Cancel the fatwa, boys!

I'm reading: _Der abenteuerliche Simplicissimus (Teutsch)_. Thirty Years War. Good times.

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

I'm reading Gary Keller's "Millionaire Real Estate Investor"

Don't go gettin any crazy ideas. I'm far from a millionaire, and my Oklahoman investment is proving to be quite the drag, so this is less for me and more for my clients. I know, I know, you are jealous of my fantastic reading material.

OH...THAT LibertyLand...I too traveled to the super scary canival-esque Memphian hell hole in 8th grade. Clearly it was some kind of weird right of passage.

Peter said...

Still reading "2012, the Return of Quetzalcoatl."

Also reading "Handmade Electronic Music - The Art of Hardware Hacking", which, among other things, is teaching me how to turn an FM radio into a synthesizer, of sorts. And I quote:

"A radio contains several of the same basic modules as a classic analog synthesizer: oscillators, amplifiers, filters, frequency shifters, ring modulators."

So yeah, fun times ahead.

twd3lr said...

Peter, that sounds like an electrocution waiting to happen--be careful, man.

What's worse than poorly planned amusement parks? Zoos that add on carnival rides to supplement their revenue.

Has anyone else been to Cedar Point? No? Guess I'm the only cool kid. ;)