Monday, September 05, 2005

I do take requests...

Peter (aka. geek horde) wanted to see a sonnet or two on occasion. I cannot promise sonnets all the ...but I will post some poems for all you illiterate pagans out there.

Here is the first...

"THE WORLD IS TOO MUCH WITH US; LATE AND SOON"

THE world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers:
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
The Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not.--Great God! I'd rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathed horn.

This from our old friend William Wordsworth. I've always thought that his was an appropriate name for a writer...well, for a good writer.

Also...new blog out there...White Noise (check the link on the side). Give Nick a few minutes of your precious time. Also...here is another one I like a lot...I used to be a waiter (a long time ago) so I find Waiter Rant to be enjoyable. The guy is also very good at telling a story.

More photos tomorrow.

4 comments:

munkee girl said...

More a drama girl, myself, but I'll abstain from snarky comments so as not to ruin it for the poetry luffers. Viva Carl Zuckmayer!

Peter said...

I love that:

"The world is too much with us; late and soon,"

Damned if that's just not the purtiest thing I've ever heard.

Ken said...

Wordsworth had some mad skillz.

munkee girl said...

Which begs the question: did he have skillz or talent? German poet/critic Johann Herder theorized that there are two types of poetry; "Kunstpoesie" is "art poetry" (the mad-lib sort of paint-by-numbers poetry that was the rage in the late 18th century), and "Naturpoesie" is "natural poetry" (created by in-born talent that spills out of its creator without effort, which is how Herder regarded Shakespeare). Sorry for the Ross moment, but we were JUST discussing this in my grad class, and I figured Ken might appreciate the distinction.