Sunday, July 31, 2005

Metroplex 2005

The, now annual, trip to the Dallas Metroplex is finished. I am tired. (warning now...long post)

We headed out Wednesday evening...getting on the road at 5pm sharp. Arrived Colleyville, TX around 10:30. We feel that was pretty good time. The folks from Little Rock didn't arrive until 11:30ish. It's a slightly longer drive and traveling with a baby can hamper progress. Jess and I got all excited when we passed a HUGE Ikea store...but its grand opening isn't scheduled until Aug. 3. But...we know where we're going to visit next year.

Slept late on Thurs. Then we headed out for some shopping. Rich and Eloise offered to watch the baby so we were free to wander and shop.

First stop...World Market. Basically, the women picked up some Ritter-Sport and I purchased two Abba-Zaba's. These are taffy, filled with peanut butter. I first saw them on a candy-themed Unwrapped. Once spied, I could not pass up the chance to try something new.

We then headed to the Grapevine Mills Mall. Which is essentially a giant outlet mall. The women were looking for clothes and baby gear. The guys had no real agenda. Then, as we walked in, I spotted a cart with the word Mikasa on it. I then realized we were at the mall where my Godmother works. The Mikasa store was near so Jessica and I popped in to see if she was available. Marilyn was working and I think we shocked her a bit as I don't believe she had any inkling we were in the area. Suffice to say she looks great, it was good to see her, and she offered up a bed for our last night in town (more on that later).

So the shopping continued and we ended the trip with some gelato. Our hosts were excellent and we had grilled chicken and some avocado-jello salad. Needs to be seen and tasted to be believed. As soon as I get copies of the photos I will post a shot of this dish.

Friday was the day of drinking. We went out for a late breakfast and then returned for some lounging, swimming and drinking; lots of sangria, margaritas and wine. I ventured out and found a Carvel so I could have some tasty ice-cream. Dinner was at a local Italian place...also very good.

The initial plan was for the Little Rock bunch to return on Saturday to ensure they could be home for Jack's Baptism on Sunday. Before we knew about the Baptism, Jess and I had solidified plans to see my father and stay through Sunday (his birthday). Then, after running into Marilyn (Godmother), we accepted her offer to say the night at her place as Jess and I decided against staying and my father's home (due to the smoking inside). Follow that? So...Wade and JJ ask us (and Rich and Jen) to be Godparents to Jack. With an offer like that, how could we refuse? Thus, we had to scrap some of our plans so that we could make it to the Baptism. Unfortunately, we had to tell Marilyn that we weren't staying, and opted to only spend the afternoon/evening with my Dad and his family before heading to Little Rock no later than 8pm.

Well...the visit with Dad was nice, if too short. We talked a lot about soccer and went out with him, Anna (my step-sister), and Jessica to get some new soccer gear. The selection in NWA is rather weak. Barb, Dad's wife, was doing well. I took Dad his birthday gift; some 10-year old Laphroaig as well as taking them all out to dinner. After shopping we, conveniently enough, ended up at a Carvel for more ice-cream. No complaints. We were on the road by our targeted 8pm time.

Of course it took close to 6 hours to get to Little Rock. Only to have to get up early in order to get to Conway for the Baptism. Didn't get much in the way of sleep last night. I've got to make sure I thank Jessica for staying awake the entire drive. She was instrumental in making sure I was able to make the drive from Dallas.

So...all this was to say that the weekend was good. I'm tired and I could use another day off. It will be a busy week. But...GenCon is in a few weeks. My tickets arrived and I'll probably come back from that trip even more tired than I am now. Having fun is a lot of work.

Oh....and Jack Derden...great kid. He's got great parents and was fairly even-tempered the entire weekend. Sure he cried a bit, but it wasn't oppressive or for long periods. I didn't hear him at night...but that also may have been influenced by the size of the house.

More later when I get those photos...glad to be back.

2 comments:

jennybee said...

Sounds fun. Congrats on becoming a godfather, but don't expect too much in the way of hand-kissing...

Ken said...

Watch it, or you may end up sleeping with the fishes...