Monday, July 11, 2005

I am still here...just been bad about posting lately.

It's been an achy Monday...seems to be standard for me since I started playing soccer again. I did manage to get in 3+ miles and some weith lifting after work.

So it seems that the fingerI busted back in April will remain in pain until I die. There's not too much to do to it now. Surgery would just make more scar tissue. Time to pop some Aleve when it starts to hurt late in the day. I'm sure all this typing helps a lot.

Excited that my old friend Jen and her boyfriend Ben will be in F'ville this weekend. Will be good to see them.

Jess and I saw Batman Begins yesterday. I liked it a lot. I could have done without the romantic subplot. It's very serious at it takes itself very seriously. Christian Bale did a fine job. Not sure why Rutger Hauer (Wayne Industries CEO) was in the movie...his role seemed tacked on...unless there are plans for him in a sequel. The whole Wayne industries subplot also could have been left behind. I don't know much about the Scarecrow from the Batman comics...but I found the rendition in the movie to be terrifying. I was shocked that, in the row in front of me, someone had brought a pre-teen to the movie. Not to be prude-ish, but I think the violence and imagry may have been a bit much for younger kids.

That said...I recommend...but I think I still like the Tim Burton Batman films better....but that's probabl more an emotional reaction based on the nostalgia factor...

2 comments:

Peter said...

I have the exact opposite feeling. I HATE the Burton movies. They were more about being Burton movies than being about Batman. They sucked. Too campy. Why put Danny Devito in a penguin costume? The dude's already a penguin for pete's sake! Argh!

My reaction, walking out of Batman Begins, despite the craptacular romantic subplot, was that thank the geek gods, they finally got Batman right.

munkee girl said...

How much do we love that Pete uses the phrase for Pete's sake? Maybe it's just the seminar I'm at talking, but I think it's a teleological postmodern narrative on the legibility that informs and codes the displacement of the foundation myth. (Why, yes, friends...I am keeping a list of all the fun doublespeak my colleagues here are using! Maybe I'll write an Academic-English, English-Academic dictionary while I'm here.)