Wednesday, February 07, 2007


So I've been scanning photos again. Back in December my mother gave me a box of photos tp go through and scan. I'll post some here and also out on my web album area.

This was taken by my Godfather, Warren Lepley ina park that not longer exists in the Plaza section of Kansas City, cicra 1980. He died a number of years ago but I'll never forget him. He had a kind of raspy voice and was, to a 5 year old, very cool. It was clear he didn't like kids too much but made every effort to be a great role model. I know that I'm a better person because of the impact he and my Godmother had on my mother and me. If I can be a parent in a manner such as his, I should be okay. The other fascinating, and very 1970s, thing about my Godparents was their super-cool giant round waterbed. To me it was a toy. I just wanted to play on it and make waves.

As you can see in the photo, I've got a little bit of terror in my eyes. See...when I was younger I was a bit impulsive. I climbed the slide thinking it would be no problem at all. Then the reality of the height caused me great concern. Warren, knowing this was a great learning opportunity, wouldn't let me climb back down. It was gravity or life atop the slide. As you can see, the platform was quite small. My solution: stretch as far as I could so that the trip down would be short. Still, even with logic on my side...what's a kid to do.

I've got a photo of the resolution that I'll post in a day or two.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Peter said...

That's so cool man.

Jenn said...

My 5-year-old slide story: Remember running up the slide? Well, I figured if we could run up the slide, I could run down the slide... tripped, slid down face-first, face hit the ground, half of my face was scratched & bleeding. Got to leave kindergarten early that day!

munkee girl said...

Nice pic. Nice story.