Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Number Stations

This post is mainly for Peter and Mike. Heard this NPR bit the other day and thought of the two of you and wondered if you had ever heard of it...

Number Stations. (NPR story here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4167689)

Wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_stations

Fancy stuff. I want to know more and listen to one of the cds. If you listen to the NPR piece...what interests me is that government agencies won't comment on these so-called number stations. Seems to me that a denial would better than a no comment.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

Peter said...

Better yet, go to Radio Shack, pick up a shortwave radio (I got a little handheld one for about 25 dollars a few years ago) and listen to some yourself.

I've also got a larger, much older shortwave radio with a much larger antenna that picks up a lot more stuff. It's easy to find that stuff at night when the sun stops beating down on the ionosphere.

Cool post.

See you guys soon?

Ken said...

Laborish Dayish.

When is Mike going to be in town?

I'll look into a s-wave. I think I can afford that.

You have listened?

Peter said...

Oh yeah. Soemtimes, when I can't sleep at night (especially if I don't have to work the next day) I'll fire up the shortwave and listen for numbers stations. It's fun. You never know what you'll hear. I think it's actually more fun to hear the english language news broadcasts from other countries. Very enlightening.

Peter said...

Also, if you don't want to go to the trouble of a shortwave radio, listening to AM radio stations 'skip' off of the ionosphere can be really cool, late at night. I have actually caught some what I assume to be French Canadian stations a few times. But other than that, the furthest I've heard is probably a tossup between Chicago (720 WGN) or Denver (850 KOA).